First of all, do not worry. We will get your pencil working again even if we have to make you a new one.
Start by taking your pencil apart. First unscrew the cone, then pull off the eraser end and remove the eraser. Then remove the mechanism from the pencil body and empty any lead from the feed tube by turning it upside down. Then follow these steps:
- Take the cone part and using a full piece of lead, push the lead though the cone starting from the tip.
- Pushing the lead through the cone may push out anything that was blocking the cone. If the blockage is pushed out, please go to step 5.
- If it is not possible to push the lead through the cone, please see I have dropped my pencil, what should I do? to remove any tip damage.
- If you can freely push the lead through the cone, please open and close the mechanism by pulling back the round brass plate so the clutch opens. Do you see any damage or blockages in the mechanism? If so, keep opening and closing until the blockage is removed or see How do I get a new mechanism? if it is damaged.
- So, no blockage or damage in the cone and a working mechanism? OK, let’s put the pencil back together to test it. Start by sliding the mechanism into the pencil body and then screw on the cone. Now push the eraser holder onto the end of the pencil. Now place 4 pieces of lead into the lead tube through the hole found under the eraser. Hold the pencil with the tip pointing downwards and click the pencil 20 times. Do you see any lead coming out of the tip? If so, we have done our job, just add the eraser and you are good to go.
- If you still don’t see any lead coming from the tip, please continue to click the pencil 20 more times. If there is still no lead coming from the tip of the cone please unscrew the cone and see if any lead is advancing from the mechanism.
No lead advancing from the mechanism:
It seems there is an issue with the lead being used, please check it is 0.5mm or the mechanism, please inspect it for blockages or damage (see step 4). If there is an issue with the mechanism, please see How do I get a new mechanism?
Lead is advancing from the mechanism but not coming through the cone:
It is very likely that you have a small amount of tip damage that is hard to see. Please see I have dropped my pencil, what should I do?